View Event Is there a Product Safety event I can attend?
Product Responsibility Summit - Explore the product safety issues currently impacting the promotional products industry, as well business implications and challenges associated with compliance.
Access Live Webinars Live Webinars
Live product responsibility webinars are offered throughout the year. Watch our email for dates and times.
PLEASE NOTE: Only courses listed under Corporate Responsibility will receive credit for Product Safety Aware.
Access On Demand Library On Demand Webinars
Take necessary courses when and where it works best for you in our free on demand library.
PSA Alternative Criteria Guidelines
Product Safety Aware Requirement Guidelines
The Product Safety Awareness Program is centered on education and training. PPAI recognizes that many companies may already receive product safety education and training which could be deemed as qualifying alternative criteria in lieu of the required Product Safety Awareness courses provided by PPAI.
In order to achieve Product Safety Aware status outside of the established program, organizations that can provide proof of attendance at alternative product safety education and training sessions provided by outside resources, will be considered.* These courses can include live events or webinars which address the following topics related to product safety: risk management, current issues and trends, children’s products, chemical/physical/mechanical hazard assessment/analysis/mitigation, reporting obligations, import/export compliance, product recall management, and brand protection.
The education and training topics should include some reference to the following:
- Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)
- Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA)
- How to determine if, when, and how your product could be considered a children’s product
- Undue Influence
- State Regulations (as applicable to products):
- Bisphenol-A (BPA): CA, CT, DE, ME, MD, MA, MN, NY, WA, and VT
- California Proposition 65 (Prop 65)
- California Safer Consumer Products Legislation (SCP) – Green Chemistry Initiatives
- Illinois Lead Poisoning Prevention Act
- Northeast Recycling Council (NERC) Toxics in Packaging
- Polybag Suffocation Warning Labels: CA, MA, NY, RI, VA
- Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS): CA, MN, NJ
- Rhode Island Jewelry Legislation
- Washington State Children’s Safe Products Act
Current alternative criteria for obtaining the Product Safety Aware status include:
- PPAI Product Responsibility Action Group (PRAG) membership
- PPAI Product Safety Summit attendance
- Primary active Quality Certification (QCA) compliance contact status (distributors and suppliers)
- International Consumer Product Health & Safety Organization (ICPHSO) attendance (including regional events)
- St. Louis University - Product Safety Series
Possible resources available for additional alternative training could include:*
- American Apparel & Footwear Association (AAFA)
- Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) – Briefings available on the CPSC website
- Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA)
- Toy Industry Association (TIA)
- UL sponsored education or other education provided by CPSC accepted labs
*Proof of attendance at alternative product safety education and training sessions provided by outside resources is required for Product Safety Aware credit.
Note: We are always open to including additional resources. If you are aware of additional sources for product safety education and training please provide us with details and PRAG will review for inclusion.